Sunday, June 22, 2008

E-mail is just not fast enough

The thing about Twitter...many of you may have seen Cogdog's presentation at the MCLI conference at Mesa in May. He mentioned and discussed the Twitter Curve which I have to say I chuckled at because while I was still at the "Hmm...D'Arcy [substitute Cogdog] says its cool" I could imagine this curve to be true because we've seen it with so many other new applications really - you could substitute many programs that have taken hold.

But here's the thing about Twitter itself...now that I've progressed up the curve to just below the "I cannot stop" level I can share with you what I've discovered about this application.

In May we heard from Dr. Wesch and he discussed the "us" factor that moves a great deal of the technology shifts we are experiencing and I think it directly relates to programs like Twitter. Cogdog touches on it also his is blog posting "No Reason to Be Plain White Background iGoogle." What Dr. Wesch [and similarly Cogdog] explains is that our identity is constantly mediated through our interactions and in our culture a great deal of that occurs through technology - our interaction with technology and with people through technology. Twitter is the epitome of this concept.

Twitter allows you to become a member of a community that would not physically be possible. Through Twitter you can connect with individuals that bring you together originally for some common purpose but then through the "tweets" allows other connections to be made. I find myself when I'm out and about quickly logging into Twitter and commenting on where I am, what I'm doing, or reaching out to someone in my Twitter community. At the same time I'm noticing a change in my habits. I used to turn on my computer, check my email, log onto my IM programs, & check my blog for comments. Now the first place I go is Twitter and IM. My email is becoming last on my list - my first preference is Twitter or IM because there is immediacy there. Over the weekend I'm connecting with people on an ongoing basis through Twitter - so while I'm sitting in my car at 1:00 in the morning at the drive in movies and my son is asleep in the back and my husband asleep next too me - I can open my phone - log into Twitter and suddenly there are people around me [albeit virtually]. Of course being "too plugged in" is a whole other conversation but in terms of Twitter and the permeation of technology into our lives and our construction of "self" it is very fascinating. Follow us - join us on Twitter to check it out yourself!
Jen = windygap96, Sam = hypnotoadaz, & Brian = brianh431

3 comments:

Laura Ballard said...

All hail twitter! I love it too windygap96!

Sam said...

All hail to the Hypnotoad! Oh yeah and Twitter is addicting. Keeping in touch one twit at a time!

Shelley Rodrigo said...

@windygap96 I too blogged about twitter...and being overwhelmed by @soul4real; however, I'm also aware I'm BURNT! Twitter has a "It's all connected, all the time" feel that I'm just not digging right now; however, notice I "batch" replies to you all...so I'm lurking. I'm sure I'll pick back up when I get back from England. :-)