Wednesday, May 21, 2008

When is it too much?

One of the reasons I've not been too successful at maintaining a work blog when I have been fervently keeping a personal blog for over 2 years now is the blurring of the lines between personal and professional. When I first approached blogging in 2006 it was around the same time a faculty member in California had been fired over a blog post she wrote on her own personal blog that somehow came into her professional life - so I was pretty tentative. I can't avoid it though! Why? Blogging by its nature is a way to engage the community in conversation. Since it is my goal as an Instructional Technologist to have ongoing conversations with our campus/district community about the effects of technology in teaching and learning then blogging it will be!

A recent increase in the use of Twitter really has blurred the lines a lot more for me. If you aren't familiar with Twitter it is a microblogging program (which means you only 160 characters to speak). This has been used at Ed Tech conferences, it allows individuals to start micro-conversations about the presentations - usually during the actual presentations being discussed. Although you'll find the nature of Twitter lends itself to personal microblogging a lot. To tweett or not to Tweet - that is the question? I really liked cogdog's Twitter Life Cycle so where do you fall in the life cycle? Who at PV tweets? I know of 4 see if you can spot us in the Twitter gadget here on the right. Explore Twitter - even some on the presidential campaign trail tweet.

No comments: