Friday, May 23, 2008

Who defines usefulness?

Ever since I read the article posted in the Chronicle's Wired Campus the other day, about a faculty member considering banning laptops in his classroom because it is distracting to students who bring them (and even to those that don't bring them but can lurk on the screens from behind) I've been pondering and debating with anyone who will take the bait about this concept. (Poor husband loves to play devils advocate with me - we had a heated dinner conversation)

When I consider such positions I really do try my best to see both perspectives because I believe that whats good for one isn't necessarily good for everyone. While I have my beliefs, I do not for a minute believe - that everyone else should embrace that which I do. I also adhere to the idea that culture plays a crucial factor in so many perspectives and beliefs and no one person has the same cultural framework. My current thinking is that in this specific situation culture may play a big role. I was struck by a comment this very faculty member wrote in the comment section of this site, he wrote:
However, I must assert that the classroom is an environment in which I have a tremendous amount of legitimate authority. My students are not my customers. I reserve the right to eject someone for sleeping (and have, on several occasions), being rude and disruptive, or for answering mobile phones in class (which happens more than you might think).

So I also reserve the right to require that they do not stare at screens instead of me.


I have to admit I was really struck by this...it echoed in my mind for hours... "classroom...legitimate authority"... and I'll be truthful I was struck by how "direct instruction" it is....how...."20th Century Ivy League" it seemed to me, I'll even go so far as to say, how far removed it is from what constructivist learning research has taught us over these many years about how to really engage a student.

Then I had a thought. I'm throwing this out there - maybe, just maybe, a learning-centered community college might not embodied the same culture say...the University of Virginia Law School might?

It makes me grateful for my career in the community college where we believe that faculty are content matter experts and, yes, do have legitimate authority in their classrooms but not to the extent where they do not see their students as their customers. Students, in our culture, have a great deal to contribute to the classroom learning and what empowers them empowers everyones learning.

Of course I'm an avid laptop user and I use it for so many things. Do I multi-task on it? Absolutely. Truth be told, I did that before laptops - heck before the internet, I graduated college with a 3.9 while listening to lectures, taking notes, as well as, writing notes, letters, drawing, reading, staring out the window, and more. I admire the faculty who can embrace the technology, who can take that which "distracts" our students and embraces it to help take their learning forward.

Cogdog said it very eloquently recently in his posting about iGoogle themes, he wrote:

“How does this promote student learning? Isn’t this more of what in the old days of those mac applications were called “fritterware” - ways to fritter away your time?
...
but there would not be all of those iGoogle themes (and all of those delectable MySpace web designs) if our personal expression of who we are, or want to be, is not a core value. It’s not trivial, and any software, project that ignores the desire to personalize a technology experience is.. well.. maybe a macdink."

So I say...don't "ignore" the desire to use laptops...embrace it! It may be messy at first - but I'd be willing to bet that you might be shocked by the value added through student interaction, student engagement, and content acquisition, critical thinking, collaboration, and life long learning.

No comments: